Wednesday, June 5, 2013

SPOKEN WORD

by Radical 

The Spoken Word Art Form

Excuse me while I take a few minutes to introduce the artist side of me, and my art the spoken word.

Spoken word is included as a member of the performing arts, and is oratory in nature. However, spoken word can be found in its written form as well, since it is word based. Also, one can find it backed by music, in theatrical performances, in movies and other collaborating art forms.

Modern Spoken Word and its Beginning

Lately spoken word/poetry has become very popular; artists in this arena can be seen reading poetry and/or storytelling at venues. Storytelling is the focus of spoken word. That brings me to this point: many dissertations have been written on storytelling.

I would venture to say, the former is so because storytelling usually gives a voice to untold truths. Spoken word as we know it today is mostly associated to the Harlem Renaissance of the 20’s. Today spoken word can be found being performed on college campuses throughout the United States.

Pioneers of Spoken Word

The true pioneers of spoken word are people like Gil Scott- Heron who recently passes over in 2011, The Watts Prophets, and The last Poets to name a few.  Many may have heard of Russell Simmons, it’s fitting to point out that his founding of Def Jam Poetry left a spotlight on the art form.

Some of my Work

My work is featured in two albums (CDs) published by Moiko Records, under my pen name Radical Mind. I am feature in the CD “A Word to the Wise Vol II“, and “Moiko World Music Vol 2.” These two CD compilations where done as a means to raise money for charity. Again, welcome to the poet in me.

 The Walking Dead

No comments:

Post a Comment